If you hold stock in a closely held business, you may be able to use that stock as a powerful way to support our future.
Closely held stock* is most often used to support our work or establish a named fund in the form of an outright gift. You can make a gift of closely held stock as long as the constituting documentation for the business permits additional owners and it is debt-free. The donation of closely held stock first requires you to value the interest in the business entity.
Review this checklist to see if you may benefit from donating closely held stock. Then, consult your professional legal and tax advisors to see how to maximize the benefits of this tax-efficient strategy for making a difference.
- You are a majority shareholder in a closely held corporation.
- You would like to remove retained earnings from the corporation, without having them taxed again.
- You would like to maintain a controlling position in the corporation's outstanding stock.
- You would like to avoid capital gains taxes on the shares you donate to the Greater New Orleans Foundation.
- You would like to receive a federal income tax deduction for the full appraised value of the gift.
- You would like to support our mission.
Click on the links below to see the additional ways to fund your gift with closely held stock:
- A gift in your will or living trust.
- A charitable gift annuity.
- A charitable remainder trust.
- A charitable lead trust.
* A gift of closely held stock requires special handling, so you should always consult with your legal or tax advisor first.
Discover MoreView My Free Brochure
Not Sure How to Begin Planning?
Create a secure plan for you and your loved ones with our FREE Personal Estate Planning Kit.Download My Kit
- Contact Holly Robbins Hermes at 504-620-5264 or email@example.com or Kenneth A. St. Charles, Ph.D. at 504-598-1291 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information on giving a gift of closely held stock.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include the Foundation in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Greater New Orleans Foundation
Address: 919 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70130
Federal Tax ID Number: 72-0408921