Not everyone wants to commit to making a gift in their wills or estates. Some prefer the increased flexibility that a beneficiary designation provides by using:
- IRAs and retirement plans
- Life insurance policies
- Commercial annuities
It only takes three simple steps to make this type of gift. Here's how to name the Greater New Orleans Foundation as a beneficiary:
- Contact the administrator of your retirement plan, insurance policy or bank account for a change-of-beneficiary form or simply download a form from your provider's website.
- Decide what percentage (1 to 100) you would like us to receive and name us, along with the percentage you chose, on the beneficiary form.
- Return the completed form to your plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution.
Learn MoreView My Guide
An Example of How It Works
Robert and Carol treasure the financial help they've been able to give their children and GNOF over the years. The couple recently updated their will to leave stocks and real estate to their kids. They left GNOF a $75,000 IRA to be transferred following their lifetime. Because GNOF is tax-exempt, all $75,000 will help support our mission, or the community through a named fund.
If Robert and Carol had left the IRA to their children, approximately $18,000* would have gone to pay federal income taxes—leaving only $57,000 for their family's use. Robert and Carol are happy knowing they are making the most of their hard-earned money thanks to their updated estate plan.
*Based on an assumption of a 24 percent marginal income tax bracket.
See How It Works
Not Sure How to Begin Planning?
Create a secure plan for you and your loved ones with our FREE Personal Estate Planning Kit.Download My Kit
- Contact Allie Betts at 504.620.5264 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information on beneficiary designations and how they can help support GNOF with our mission.
- Talk to your financial or legal advisor to learn which assets will or will not trigger taxable income when paid to a beneficiary.
- If you name GNOF in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Greater New Orleans Foundation
Address: 919 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70130
Federal Tax ID Number: 72-0408921